My Story of Facebook Horror...Maybe Turned Into Something Else

Alright, folks, grab a box of Kleenex.

Not the generic stuff, but Kleenex because that makes a difference.

My name is Adam Graham. I'm a writer, podcaster, and generally quiet guy who hails from Boise, Idaho

On November 13, 2021, someone hacked my Facebook account. I was informed of this by Facebook and told to send my ID in. I was told the first picture I took was too blurry, I took a better one and I sent it to them.  I got a log in error that told me these requests are typically reviewed within a day.  Two months later and I'm still getting them. 

This is after I sent additional emails and heard nothing, got on Twitter and tagged Facebook and again nothing. Someone said I gave up on getting my Facebook account back. Well, here's the secret, there's nobody at Facebook to contact, no phone number, no email address.

I'd had an account for more than 15 years. I'd just recently paid for an advertising campaign on their platform and that wasn't the first time and Facebook will not respond in any way at all. I've been the very model of a Facebook good citizen for my entire time and no effort from Facebook's Customer Service Department. (Suggested new names to avoid truth in advertising complaints with FTC: Customer Disservice Department and No Customer Service Department.)

Now, you have that Kleenex with you, it'd be a good time to blow and to wipe your eyes. 

However, despite my annoyance with this company, I have to say the absence hasn't been all bad for me. For one thing, Facebook drama is gone and all its various temptations and aggravations. I haven't gotten into a knockdown drag-out argument over some idiotic meme since this happened or dealt with the argumentive trolls who patrol that place. 

I miss hearing from some people on Facebook, but the question is how have we gotten to the point that one crappy company in California has become so critical to human relations and this giant hub. Facebook is easy, but maybe, just maybe it's a little too easy. 

Maybe, just hear me out, we shouldn't trust one company and its buggy algorithm to manage all our relationships, store all our photos, and connect with all our family. 

I remember the old days of the Internet, which are still around and still usable; Blogs, forums, and private groups. Facebook combined many of these features but has shown itself to offer up too much garbage in line with the awesome responsibility imposed on it. No one company, no one individual, no one board, ruling our life and controlling our communications. 

Now politicians talk about social media and need to reform, but they just want to control it. They're like Saurman seeking the power of the one ring.  And honestly, with any new social media company, the question I have to ask myself, "Do I trust these people to manage the news/information I see and collate my relationships with the rest of the Human Race?" The answer is no.

So we're back to Blogging. Back to me writing about whatever thing posts my fancy, sharing pictures that I don't mind being public, and linking to things I think are cool. I'm an OG blogger and blogging appeals to me. Not having the constant noise and just having a blank space to say anything I think interesting works.

I will note that this will be a non-political blog. If I want to write about politics, I'll do it on my substack or over on my old Wordpress blog if I have something short to say. 

However, if you're interested in following me personally, this is the place for you.

Comments

  1. I have many times contemplated getting off of Facebook because it would bring an end to much drama. Not drama that I created, mind you, but drama that I do not need...

    I think one of the biggest difficulties is that everybody is on Facebook including certain family with whom Facebook is really my only regular contact because they are far away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are a few friends like that. There's just a whole lot to do. I've got email, phone, whatever, and people will have to reach our or I will. There's just not much to be done at this point.

      Delete

Post a Comment